Saturday, July 26, 2008

What Did You Expect?

A friend emailed us and asked if we wanted to go to a social event. It was a cultural event, involved dinner, and a patronage feature. Thinking it sounded great, I was all for it. We paid for the tickets and went on with our lives. When the day of the event arrived, I realized that ; 1) It was outdoors and I was expected to wear a dress; 2) It would be freezing cold; and, 3) The event would last about 6 hours. (And, the reviews were lukewarm to boot). But we were commited. We had paid, made plans with friends and were expected to show up. Also, I hadn't factored in the drive -- an hour each way. Now, I could always bring a coat and a blanket, and leave before the end, but I got to thinking about what had gone through my mind at the time I made the decision. It sounded like fun, I figured it was summer and would be "kind of" warm out, and that it was for a good cause. But, I realized, that this event, like many things, sound great in the abstract. There were other factors to consider here as well -- maybe it was just my attitude. Maybe it would be fun, that I would like it more than the reviewer had. Maybe there would be interesting people there, or business contacts. Maybe there were lessons to be had. What (besides the cold) made me change my attitude from excitement to dread? I'll let you know when it's over.

No comments: