Friday, September 4, 2009

Elul

This is the Jewish month of Elul, the month before Rosh Hashana, the Jewish New Year. It is the time to review the past year from the perspective of one's actions and behavior and to take stock of one's life. What did I do these past twelve months? What didn't I do? What can I do better next year?

It is always good to reflect on how one is living his/her life -- all the moreso when one is about to be judged by one's Creator.

I hope I did more Mitzvot, good deeds, than the year before. I hope I helped someone, made someone's road easier.

I pray that I did not cause anyone pain. And I pray that I may live to give, or, as they say, "Merit to do another mitzvah."

Zrizut (rushing) when it comes to doing mitzvot and silence when it comes to saying what should not be said.

May you have a great spiritual experience this Elul as you prepare for the Days of Awe!

No comments: