Sunday, August 2, 2009

15 Consequential Actions Later

I heard Sharon Salzman, the well-known (but previously unknown to me) meditation teacher on the radio today. She was talking about how meditation can help avoid the unfortunate results of actions taken in response to negative emotions such as anger, etc.

I had never heard the term "Consequential Actions" before, and thought a lot about it. Actually, every action is consequential -- there is some consequence, or result, good or bad, or neutral.

My computer just went black. I looked down and the power cord had become separated from the adapter. The black screen was the consequence.

Would you take the same actions you take every day if you knew what the consequences would be down the road? Would knowing the future, or potential future change the course of action you are about to follow now? Think about it. I did. I better get a new battery for my computer...

No comments: