Monday, October 6, 2008

Perspectives on the New Year

I survived Rosh Hashana, or in reframe parlance, I had a unique Rosh Hashana experience this year. The first night and following day provided two excellent "drashes," or sermons by the Rabbi at the first shul (Temple). He is an Orthodox-raised and trained Rabbi serving a Conservative congregation. His speaking was so deep and beautiful -- and most of all, memorable. He spoke of why certain words were used in the Torah (Old Testament) to mean "remember." The word "remember" occurs many times, and, the Hebrew uses different words for different meanings. But the one the Rabbi stressed was when God uses the word remember which means he is going to keep a promise to the Jewish people. So, remember can mean commitment, promise, result, outcome. The second day we went to another shul. This one featured a choir, a pianist, a guitarist and a lot of rousing singing and participation. I got to experience the coming of the New Year from two very different perspectives. But, for me, it was about what I am going to commit to for the coming year. Who am I going to be this year? Better, more giving, more loving, more committed. I will remember.

No comments: