Sunday, September 14, 2008

Learning

I have been in school since I was three years old which means that I have a lot of years of learning behind me. But, in my mind, I feel that my greatest learning is yet to come. I am what is called a "life-long learner," or someone who keeps studying and learning new things.

I am constantly working on refining my Life Coaching skills, though I find that the process is more art than technique. I use my knowledge of the client, the practice of the theory and modalities of Life Coaching, as set forth by the International Coach Federation, and then something entirely different happens. As I synthesize the information I am hearing, something else takes over and my coaching comes from a place of understanding that defies logic.

This is true in all arts and sciences. First you learn the theory and technique, until you master them. Then, the art takes over the process. Coaching takes on a life of its own. It's not that I don't reframe, or actively listen, or pose powerful questions. It's that the way in which it comes together is, in Jungian terminology, from the "collective unconscious." If I am lucky, or in tune, I am led to "points" which are the real communication behind the words. This is the place where belief, experience and willingness to change all intersect, and where break-throughs occur. Of course, the client has to be ready for the other side of the fence in order to go over the wall. But that is the beauty of coaching -- people, often in short periods of time, go over that wall into the next level.

No comments: