Sunday, August 17, 2008

Life Coaching 101, Again

There seems to be a sector of Life Coaching, not mine, that is proponent of a "get-rich-quick" mentality. Although I have read about it, seen it, been around it for over thirty years, it is not my metier. I recently received a "free gift" from another life coach. It was a pdf file about something --- but the first sentence was, "Why aren't you rich yet?" I thought this was pretty presumptuous. How does this coach know how much money I have or don't have? And why was she presuming that no one on her mailing list was "rich?" Is she rich? (She didn't say, and she didn't define rich). This is where I part ways with this type of thinking, philosophically. Are you safe, warm enough, food in the frig? A job to go to? Paying your bills? Have a family? Friends? Good Health? A pet? Someone to love? If the answer to any of the above is yes, then in my book, you are rich. In my spiritual tradition (paraphrased) "Successful is the man who is happy with his lot in life." This is not to say that you shouldn't make an effort to further your education, job skills, investing or other means of generating income. But you don't have to be "rich" to be happy, successful or fulfilled. As a Life Coach, I hear many things that people want to do to change their lives. But so far, no one has said they want to be rich. If you truly want to be financially well-off, that is a whole different Oprah. Don't let anyone shame you when it comes to money. Your money is between you, God and the IRS. And let it stand at that for now. My best to you all.

No comments: